Dietary AideFacility: St Joseph Hospital Location: Bethpage, NY Department: Food & Nutritional Services Category: Service and Trade Schedule: Part Time, Variable Days with Holiday coverage Shift: Day shift Hours: Monday 6am-2pm, Tuesday 11 am-7pm, Thursday 6am-2pm, Friday ReqNum: 6034196
At Catholic Health, we are more than 18,000 professionals inspired by innovation, strengthened by compassion, and driven to excellence. From working with a team of world-class healthcare professionals to state-of-the-art facilities, you'll have everything you need to do something incredible--for yourself, and for the community we serve.
Join our team at St. Joseph Hospital and discover why Catholic Health was named Long Island's Top Workplace.
General Statement of Duties:
- Must have basic knowledge of therapeutic diets.
- Must be able to work on tray line with speed and accuracy.
- Assist in loading food carts.
- Must be able to prepare food and nourishments for patients as needed.
- Must be able to distribute patient meal trays quickly and accurately.
- Delivers meals to patient in a courteous and professional manner
- Must be able to properly identify patient using name and DOB, comparing meal ticket to arm band.
- Must be able to accurately record food and refrigerator temperatures on proper log.
- Must be able to follow safe food handling practice and ensure food safe temperatures.
- Must understand the importance of proper food labeling and be able to follow policy.
- Delivers meals in to patients in a courteous and professional manner.
- Adheres to meal time schedule meeting deadlines and serves food at proper temperatures.
- Contributes to the quality and effective operation of the department through teamwork.
- Works independently with minimal supervision.
- Keeps assigned areas and equipment clean, neat and well organized.
- Handles food and equipment in a safe and sanitary manner.
- Attends Nutritional Service Department meetings
- Performs other duties as assigned by Director.
- Have knowledge of proper cleaning and sanitation procedures of the department.
- Must be able to sweep and mop as required/assigned.
- Must be able to operate and use correctly the Speed Scrub 300 walk behind floor scrubber as assigned.
- Must practice proper hand hygiene at all times.
- Experience in a nutrition/health care setting preferred.
- Is punctual and dependable; reports to work as scheduled. Absenteeism and tardiness are within policy guidelines.
- Maintains a neat, professional, well-grommed appearance. Observes Nutritional Services dress code. Wears identification badge at all times.
- Provides courteous, cooperative and timely service to patients, visitors, and staff. Demonstrates good oral and written communication.
- Works cooperatively with all staff. Voices concerns and suggestions to appropriate persons in a positive manner.
- Maintains strict confidentiality of patient, visitor, and employee information.
- Fosters a team environment by providing orientation and training to new team members assigned. Assists coworkers in tasks, as time permits.
- Adheres to the hospital and departmental policies and procedures. Complies with all requirements related to risk management, safety, security, fire, and infection control.
- Understands principles of Speak Up for patients and for staff.
- Performance demonstrates effort to improve patient satisfaction, lower cost, and improve quality.
- Understands and meets customer needs and expectations. The patient and family members always come first.
- Demonstrates the ability to address problems in a group setting using tools and techniques for identification and resolution of problems.
- Demonstrates the values and behaviors of the organization.
Experience, Education and Training:
- Education: High School Diploma, GED or equivalent work experience
- Physical Requirements: Stands and walks intermittently throughout the day (3-8 hours), as well as, reaches, stoops, bends, lifts, carries various food products, supplies and equipment. Required to lift light loads (up to 40 lbs.). Able to withstand temperature and humidity changes while entering freezers and refrigerators, working near ovens, ranges , dish-washing machines, steam table and serving line. Physically able to operate equipment i.e. labeling machine.
- Critical Demands: Ability to work independently and handle stress appropriately. Ability to work cooperatively with all hospital staff. Able to handle frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workload and work schedule. Ability to set priorities, make critical decisions, and responds quickly to emergency situations. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral).
- Occupational Hazards: Potential for exposure to infectious patients and materials is negligible. Potential for musculoskeletal injuries if proper lifting and carrying techniques are not used.
- Customer Service: Is committed to meeting institutional and departmental standards of excellence in interaction