Compliance DirectorFacility: CHS Services Inc Location: Farmingdale, NY Department: Internal Audit & Compliance Category: Leadership Schedule: Full Time Shift: Day shift ReqNum: 1_3056
Catholic Health Services of Long Island (CHS) is an integrated health care delivery system with some of the region's finest health and human services agencies. CHS includes six hospitals, three skilled nursing facilities, a regional home nursing service, hospice and a multiservice, community-based agency for persons with special needs. Under the sponsorship of the Diocese of Rockville Centre, CHS serves hundreds of thousands of Long Islanders each year, providing care that extends from the beginning of life to helping people live their final years in comfort, grace and dignity.
The Director of Compliance shall assist in executing and monitoring compliance initiatives within Catholic Health Services of Long Island and its System Affiliates (collectively CHS). In accomplishing his/her function, the Director is authorized to have full, free and unrestricted access to all CHS activities, records and personnel in accordance with approved audit programs.
- Maintain abreast of compliance issues and regulations related to the healthcare industry.
- Exercise due professional care in performing compliance reviews. In addition, employee shall possess the knowledge, skills and disciplines essential to the performance of compliance reviews.
- Understand and maintain strict confidentiality of patient information, work plans and projects.
- Coordinate internal and external efforts to ensure adequate audit coverage and to minimize duplicate efforts.
- Manage the employees that report to this position, including the training, continued education, work productivity and effectiveness and evaluation of their performance.
- Perform routine compliance monitoring as deemed necessary, including the management of the sanction screening process.
- Manage compliance and HIPAA training for CHS and CHS Services, Inc. employees.
- Maintain and distribute relevant compliance educational materials and regulatory compliance updates throughout CHS.
- Perform research on compliance issues as they arise from internal and external inquiries and document research, results and provide guidance and resources to management on compliance issues and process monitoring and improvement. Work with management to implement these improvements.
- Serve as a resource for department managers, staff, physicians and administration to obtain information on accurate documentation standards, guidelines, regulatory requirements and ethical practices.
- Assist the Vice President with the development and implementation of the annual compliance workplan.
- Assist the Vice President with research and implementation of new compliance regulations.
- When planning, performing and reporting compliance reviews, the Director of Compliance shall:
- Determine the scope, objectives and approach of each review to be performed.
- Prepare compliance review plans with emphasis on clearly describing the various auditing procedures to be used and the key points in the area to which they will be applied.
- Collect, analyze, interpret and document information to support audit findings.
- Prepare audit reports to document area under review, procedures performed and conclusions met.
- Perform oral presentations to all levels of management throughout the review, discussing review objectives and approach, deficiencies found (if any), and recommendations for improvement.
- Appraise adequacy of management's response to recommendations cited in oral and written reports.
- Obtain access to technologies and other resources which provide up to date releases on changes in laws, rules and regulations. Provide research and support for special projects of CHS.
- Assist in the preparation of formal written reports to the Compliance and Audit Committee of the Board of Directors, summarizing completed projects as well as short and long term range objectives of the department.
- Bachelor degree is required. M.B.A., M.A. in hospital administration is preferred. CPC, CCS and/or RHIA is required. Position requires six months on-the-job training to become familiar with organizational policies and procedures.
- Employee shall possess the knowledge, skills and disciplines essential to the performance of compliance reviews of healthcare institutions. The Director of Compliance shall possess certain knowledge and skills as follows:
- Proficiency in applying compliance standards, procedures and techniques is required in performing compliance reviews.
- An understanding of management principles is required to recognize and evaluate the materiality and significance of deviation from good business practice.
- An appreciation is required of the fundamentals of such subjects as accounting, economics, commercial law, finance, qualitative methods and computerized systems.
- Extensive knowledge of ICD-10 and CPT coding principles, guidelines and practices is required.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong computer skills, particularly Word and Excel.
- Have expertise in report writing and oral presentations.
- Strong professional attitude and have the ability to work with and communicate effectively with all levels of management.
- 50% travel to other CHS Entities.
- Position requires seven to ten years experience in the healthcare industry, of which two to three years spent in a position with supervisory or managerial responsibilities. Minimum of five years of hospital coding experience is required.
At Catholic Health Services of Long Island your well-being comes first, with comprehensive compensation and benefits; our offerings go beyond the basics. In addition to multiple medical plans, life insurance, generous paid time off and flexible spending accounts, we also offer substantial tuition reimbursement, an employer funded pension plan and several savings plan options for your future.