RN Community OutreachFacility: CHS Services Inc Location: Melville, NY Department: Public Affairs & Communication Category: Nursing / Nursing Leadership Schedule: Temporary - Full Time Shift: Day shift Hours: 8a-4p ReqNum: 6030576
Please note this is a full-time, temporary position
Responsible for the assessment of clients and treatment of human responses to actual or potential health problems by utilizing the nurse's process, health screenings and education, and provision of care supportive to the needs of the clients seen through the Healthy Sundays Expansion Program. Nurse will provide health screenings on mobile outreach vehicle and/or community outreach event.
Responsible for the assessment of human responses to actual or potential health problems by utilizing the nurses process, as well as health education counseling and provides of care supportive to the needs of the patients seen in the Healthy Sundays community outreach program.
The following are the key responsibilities of the position. Other duties may be assigned in addition to those listed below:
- Plans and coordinates outreach program in conjunction with administrative grant manager.
- Takes health history, vital signs and weight of clients.
- Performs finger stick for Cholesterol/HDL/glucose screening and correctly uses Cholestech system
- Draws blood for laboratory utilizing correct venipuncture technique, properly documents, maintains universal precautions and centrifuges specimens.
- Communicate abnormal results to client and provide education and information n ways to improve blood pressure or lab results. Refer to local emergency department, personal physician or CHS clinic as the situation dictates.
- Educates clients and families on health risk factors and other health concerns as appropriate.
- If indicated, provided clients a referral for follow up care at their personal physician or, if uninured, a CHS clinic or practice provide care for free or a sliding-scale basis. Contact referred clients provide a reminder to schedule their follow up visit.
- Breaks down site at end of day while maintaining the safety of the site and integrity of the specimens obtained.
- Assists with site-to-site moves
- Focuses care on age-specific and culturally relevant needs of the clients.
- Assists with maintain bus equipment (i.e. EKG, Cholestech, refrigerator, thermometer, BP cuffs, etc). Tracks and records safety checks and Biomed inspections as appropriate.
Position Requirements & Qualifications:
- BS in Nursing required
- Registered Nurse in New York State. BLS required
- Minimum two years med-surg clinical experience with an emphasis on community health (and cardiovascular care).
- Patient teach/counseling experience preferred. Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) highly desirable.
- Must be able to perform cardiovascular patient assessment using point-of-care testing equipment and assist with transport of supplies to and from community site.
- Continuing education, annual health assessment, Fit testing, flu vaccination and community health education as directed.
- Catholic Health Services of Long Island Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialist