Cat Scan Technologist-PDFacility: Mercy Medical Center Location: Rockville Centre, NY Department: CAT Scan Category: Allied Health / Clinical Professional Schedule: Per Diem Shift: Varied hours Hours: varied ReqNum: 6031257
Cat Scan Technologist-CAT Scan
Per Diem, Varied Hours
Rockville Centre, NY
Explore a career with Mercy Medical Center, a 375-bed not-for-profit hospital and member of the Catholic Health Services of Long Island that has been serving the healthcare needs for the residents of Nassau County and its surrounding areas since 1913. Ranked among the top hospitals in New York State, Mercy offers a NYS designated Stroke Center, Breast Imaging Center of Excellence, Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, and has received Pathway to Excellence designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center the only hospital in the region and one of only two in NY State to receive this prestigious award.
Under the direction of the Supervisor, Assistant Director, Director of Imaging Services and the Supervising Radiologist, performs CT scan procedures independently. Performs a variety of technical procedures that will require independent judgment as well as the ability to prescribe the proper ionizing radiation to acquire images for a radiographic diagnosis. Assumes responsibility for designated areas and procedures as required.The staff member must be able to demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his/her assigned unit. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to their age specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the units/areas/departments policies and procedures.Participates in educational programs to maintain levels of proficiency. Demonstrates and promotes service excellence at all times.
- Safely operates all CT and diagnostic equipment. Ability to generate diagnostic images for interpretation. Selects proper technical factors
- Performs 3-D reconstructions/special processing of data. Performs QA on all CT equipment
- Responsible for proper operation of all equipment in CT Department and reporting any malfunctions to Section Supervisor, and or Director of Imaging Services
- Practices sterile technique, if necessary, and observes infection control procedures
- Maintains adequate records/ logs for all patients, pre-loads any prior studies to PACs before current study is complete
- Records and maintains image storage in PACs
- Accurately manages patient orders in EPIC, and acknowledges work performed
- Responsible for cleanliness and neatness in work area: This includes all contrast spills on equipment
- Performs related and unrelated duties as requested
- Performs diagnostic x-rays as required
- Performs all PACS processes on all exams, including scanning in all documents and saving them
- Performs all EPIC processes on all exams, including utilizing the worklist placing patients on the schedule, checking them in, starting the exam, ending the exam, and reviewing that all information entered is correct
- Performs QA on all CT equipment
- Assist other technologists in ensuring a smooth and timely workflow within the department
- Maintain all licensing for the Department of Health and the ARRT in a timely manner
- Demonstrates flexibility with providing coverage to meet Departmental needs
- Responsible for maintaining all stock and non-stock items in the CT Suite and alerting the lead and or Supervisor of any impending shortages
- Notifies Supervisor and Lead of any other issues that arise
- Demonstrates ability to instruct, observe, and motivate students
Education: High School graduate. Must be a graduate of an accredited two-year program in radiologic technology.
Experience/skills: Must have knowledge of cross-sectional anatomy and 6 months - 2 years' experience in CT scanning.Precise decision-making and good judgment are necessary in the handling of each patient.Good judgment is needed to appropriate eliciting of medical decisions. Attention to detail is a must since there is a great deal of independent action involved in the process of each patient.Assessment and patient care responsibilities are delivered with knowledge of patient growth and development are appropriate to the ages of the patients served.
Licensure: ARRT and New York State license as Radiologic Technologist required.New York State license to inject contrast required. CT certification preferred.
MERCY MEDICAL CENTER
A Member of the Catholic Health Services of Long Island
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V