Hospice PhysicianFacility: Good Shepherd Hospice Location: Rockville Centre, NY Department: Inpatient Hospice at Mercy Category: Physician / Advance Practice Professional Schedule: Full Time Shift: Day shift Hours: 8:30a - 4:30p ReqNum: 6015470
Hospice Inpatient Center
Rockville Centre, New York
Good Shepherd Hospice, a member of Catholic Health Services of Long Island, promotes the physical, emotional and spiritual well-being of the person completing life's journey and his/her family members, providing comprehensive and compassionate end-of-life care of the highest quality. Good Shepherd helps patients and their families live each day fully, focusing on quality of life, control of symptoms and the things that matter to them the most.
Our team of professionals, caregivers, and trained volunteers are dedicated to providing both medical and emotional support to patients and families. We currently employ more than 250 staff members and have a volunteer core of over 100 dedicated people.
The Hospice Physician will primarily provide inpatient hospice care for patients in our new dedicated, 12 bed Hospice Inpatient Center at Mercy Medical Center, opening in the fall 2018. Additionally, the physician will assume administrative responsibilities for hospice inpatients and will participate in the management of patients receiving hospice and palliative care services in other Good Shepherd Hospice programs as needed. Reporting to the Chief Medical Officer, the Hospice Physician's responsibilities will include day to day medical care of hospice inpatients, including participation in on-call coverage systems; certification of hospice eligibility and determinations of appropriate levels of hospice care; oversight and medical leadership of the hospice IDT; collaboration with advanced practice providers; participation in the organization's performance improvement initiatives, community and medical provider outreach programs; and participation in educational programs for various levels of nursing and medical trainees.
The successful candidate will have a strong foundation in the practice of medicine and will possess knowledge of Hospice concepts, philosophy, and regulatory requirements, as well as the ability to assess the needs of terminally ill patients and their families, provide complex symptom management, and coordinate the resources and personnel involved in a comprehensive interdisciplinary team approach to care.
- Graduate from an accredited school of medicine or ECFMG Certification.
- Board certification in primary medical specialty required, internal medicine or family medicine preferred.
- Specialty Board Certification/Eligibility in Hospice and Palliative Medicine or Hospice Medical Director Certification required.
- Minimum two years postgraduate direct patient care in the absence of fellowship in hospice and palliative medicine.
- Familiarity with and commitment to the hospice and palliative medicine principles of care for patients with serious illness.
- Current, valid NYS license to practice medicine.
- Current controlled substance registration certificate
We offer a competitive salary, dynamic work atmosphere, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V