PhlebotomistFacility: Mercy Hospital Location: Rockville Centre, NY Department: Lab Phlebotomy Category: Allied Health / Clinical Professional Schedule: Part Time Shift: Day shift Hours: 7:00am-3:00pm ReqNum: 6043829
Clinical Laboratory Associate
Must be able to work variable days and variable shifts
Rockville Centre, NY
Explore a career with Mercy Hospital, a 375-bed not-for-profit hospital and member of the Catholic Health that has been serving the healthcare needs for the residents of Nassau County and its surrounding areas since 1913. Ranked among the top hospitals in New York State, Mercy offers a NYS designated Stroke Center, Breast Imaging Center of Excellence, Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, and has received Pathway to Excellence designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center – the only hospital in the region and one of only two in NY State to receive this prestigious award.
Under the supervision of the Coordinator performs all the programs on the Laboratory and Hospital computer systems related to the function of receiving and processing patient specimens and reporting lab results, troubleshoots computer problems and perform all programs required for computer maintenance.Rotates into other areas to provide clerical assistance, and provides phlebotomy coverage for all ranges of patients including adult, neonatal, pediatric and geriatric patients as needed.
- Identifies and processes all specimens, verifies requisition and test data.
- Performs clerical responsibilities including telephone support, maintaining files/records and report distribution as well as informational support on tests, procedures and specimen requirements.
- Perform all necessary programs for the Laboratory Information System (LIS) and Hospital Information System (HIS).
- Addresses and resolves any LIS/HIS problems and/or directs unresolved issues to the Coordinator, or CHS IT when necessary.
- Maintains supply inventory and reports shortages to Coordinator.
- Provides training for new employees and/or students as needed.
- Follows patient identification protocol, verifies requisition data and identifies laboratory specimens according to procedure.
- Coordinates specimen pickup for outpatient areas and ensures prompt receipt of such specimens.
- Out Patient Drawing Area (to be completed for employees in this area only).
- Performs phlebotomy procedures for venipuncture, finger and heel-stick collection methods according to procedure.
- Registers Outpatients into the HIS by interviewing patients or their representative to obtain demographic, medical and insurance information and explains insurance protocols, financial responsibility and collects co-payment as needed.
- Secures all necessary signatures and forms and maintains knowledge and use of CPT and ICD-9 coding.
- Performs programs for the HIS and creates and accurate computerized record.
- Performs quality control procedures for admitting information and implements corrections as according to Hospital Admitting Department policy.
Education: High School Graduate. Some college or equivalent education desirable.
Experience/skills: Previous hospital experience preferred. Previous phlebotomy training preferred. On the job or equivalent training in admitting/registration procedures. Excellent customer service skills. Ability to type and knowledge of clerical systems, medical terminology and computer systems. Must be able to recognize and handle hazardous conditions inherent to the Laboratory environment.
A Member of the Catholic Health
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V