Nurse PractitionerFacility: St Catherine of Siena Med Ctr Location: Smithtown, NY Department: Pre Admission Testing Category: Physician / Advance Practice Professional Schedule: Part Time, With Weekend and Holiday rotation Shift: Day and Evening shifts- Hours: 10:00 - 20:00 ReqNum: 6030753
Nurse Practitioner Role Scope
- The Nurse Practitioner provides pre-admissions testing for surgical patients at St, Charle's Hospital.
- Responsible for coordinating pre-op care including H&P's, and all required patient testing prior to procedures
- Consults with collaborating providers and specialists when necessary in an effort to achieve the best possible patient outcome.
- Performs / completes accurate pre-operative physical exams in accordance with established licensure and certification.
- Selectively orders and interprets appropriate laboratory studies, X-rays, EKGs and other diagnostic tests and procedures.
- Participates in system-wide councils in an effort to standardize care provided by the Pre-Admission Center(s) across the system.
- Drives initiatives to improve surgical outcomes; reduce preventable readmissions, increase patient and provider satisfaction, improve patient outcomes, build relationships with community and hospital providers and increase revenue to the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Functions independently to perform age-appropriate history and physical for complex acute, critical, and chronically ill perioperative patients.
- Responsible for guided pre-operative anesthesia assessments of surgical patients and pertinent follow up of laboratory and other tests obtained during the peri-operative period.
- Orders and interprets diagnostic and therapeutic tests relative to patient's age-specific needs.
- Prescribes appropriate pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic treatment modalities
- Participates in the development and evaluation of pre-admit testing practice guidelines
- Implements interventions to support the patient to regain or maintain physiologic stability.
- Assists with the provision of surgical care in accordance with facility, state, and federal regulations.
- Monitors the effectiveness of interventions.
- Facilitates the patient's transition within and between health care settings, e.g. admitting, transferring, and discharging patients.
- Seeks consultation from the consulting physician and other members of the healthcare team. Collaborates with multidisciplinary team members by making appropriate referrals.
- Facilitates staff, patient and family decision making by providing educational tools.
- Adheres to standard precautions.
- Participates in quality and process improvement activities to improve patient care and/or related systems
- Identifies self-learning needs and updates clinical knowledge and skills through formal and informal education and review of current literature.
- Remains aware of and utilizes current research findings for clinical practice and determines efficacy for current nursing practice.
- Provides and supports the provision of pre admission testing services with a commitment to excellence in patient experience.
- Provides leadership that supports hospital and departmental policies and contributes to the achievement of goals, and influences change in the healthcare delivery system.
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner Program
- NY State RN license & registered; NYS Certified as NP w/prescription privileges (APN-C). BLS certification required.