Lab PhlebotomistFacility: Good Samaritan University Hospital Location: West Islip, NY Department: Lab Phlebotomy Category: Allied Health / Clinical Professional Schedule: Full Time, with Weekend and Holiday rotation Shift: Evening shift Hours: 12 noon-8pm ReqNum: 6046928
Good Samaritan Hospital is a 537- bed (including 100 nursing home beds) teaching hospital and a member of Catholic Health. With almost 900 physicians on staff, and a level II Trauma Center, we care for well over 100,000 patients annually across the south shore of Long Island. Our reputation for excellence is built on great choices and empowered leadership, and fosters a team that's focused on evidence based practice, continual learning and exceptional quality of care.
The Phlebotomist collects adequate and correct blood specimens by venipuncture or micro technique on adults, children, and infants within the hospital, including outpatients, pre-surgical patients, Emergency Department patients, and patients in remote locations. For the mobile Phlebotomist duties will include other satellite locations deemed necessary by the hospital.
- Maintains equipment and ensures that departmental supplies are stocked and well maintained. Notifies area supervisor when insufficient.
- Demonstrates appropriate understanding of the needs of patients and visitors for each specific age group. Addresses safety and psychological needs in planning or delivering care.
- Demonstrates knowledge of service priorities, work routines, and workflow patterns; monitors workflow to assure prompt and efficient delivery of services.
- Demonstrates the ability to evaluate departmental performance and recommends measures to improve services and quality of current methodologies.
- Demonstrates knowledge of designated laboratory section and competence in all required procedures in accordance with institutional policies.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Licensure/Certification: BLS/CPR Certification from American Heart Association or American Red Cross, required. Phlebotomy Certification from a National Association (i.e. A.S.P.T., N.P.A.) preferred
- Six months experience in all phases of Phlebotomy
- Prior experience in hospital environment
At Catholic Health your well-being comes first, with comprehensive compensation and benefits; our offerings go beyond the basics. In addition to multiple medical plans, life insurance, generous paid time off and flexible spending accounts, we also offer substantial tuition reimbursement, an employer funded pension plan and several savings plan options for your future.