Nurse Practitioner-Onc. InfusionFacility: Good Samaritan Hospital Location: West Islip, NY Department: Infusion Center Category: Physician / Advance Practice Professional Schedule: Full Time Shift: Day shift Hours: 8-6pm ReqNum: 6046084
Advanced Practice Provider / PA or NP
The Cancer Institute at Good Samaritan Hospital is 1 of only 7 facilities nationwide recognized by the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons with its Outstanding Achievement Award for 15 years in a row. This recognition demonstrates the quality of our comprehensive patient care and of our commitment to providing patients with direct access to specialists who are leading experts in the field of oncology. The Cancer Institute emphasizes personalized, quality based care in one convenient community location. Good Samaritan focuses on the full spectrum of care, from screening and diagnosis through survivorship and wellness. The 25,000 square foot facility incorporate the latest technology in cancer care to provide an ideal and comfortable setting for the diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
The first floor offers a hospital-based Infusion Center with 22 private and semi-private infusion chairs, a full service infusion pharmacy and an onsite laboratory and conference room to host patient support groups and other educational events. The second floor will include a physician medical office, with 20 outpatient exam rooms, 10 physician consult offices and a family education conference room. The Cancer Institute at Good Samaritan will provide patients with comprehensive care focused around the patient experience.
In this role, the APP will be working directly alongside another APP to oversee the day to day clinical operations of our Outpatient Infusion Center, working in collaboration with our Practice APP’s.
• 7+ full-time Medical Oncologists
• Full-time Breast Surgeon
• Full-time Interventional Pulmonologist
• Other on site physician oncology specialties including neuro-oncology and thoracic surgery
• Onsite supportive care and symptom management specialized physicians
• Access to the latest research and clinical trials
• Nurse navigation services to guide patients through their specialized treatment care plan
• Nutrition and wellness consultations
• Dedicated oncology specialized Social Workers to support the psychosocial needs of patients
• Oncology Financial Coordinator to provide assistance and billing support for patients
• Oncology survivorship program
• Various support groups comprised of disease specific specialties for both patients and loved ones
The Advanced Practice Provider (APP) is an integral part of the delivery of health care and provides for primary care in many ambulatory settings through the CHS Physician Enterprise. The APP provides patient care under the supervision of a qualified physician and is credentialed through the Medical Staff process.
Duties include, but are not limited to: obtaining a detailed medical history, performing a comprehensive physical examination, diagnosing medical problems, ordering and interpreting diagnostic studies, instituting appropriate medical treatment, ordering medications, performing invasive procedures, education and counseling of patients as credentialed.
- Participates in and provides clinical care to patients through interview and observation, evaluation and assessment, intervention, planning and written documentation during their visit at the Infusion Center.
- Takes initial patient histories and performs physical examinations.
- Initiates, documents, and communicates the plan of care and follows up to ensure complete screening and preparation of patients.
- Performs daily patient rounds.
- Writes orders for medications, laboratory work, and diagnostic tests.
- Interprets laboratory and test results.
- Confers with attending physicians, residents, nursing staff, and/or other care providers to ensure optimum quality of patient care.
Education: Degree from an accredited Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner program
Licensure / Certification: Current NYS Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner license
National certification PA/NP-C maintained
Maintains continuing education and log as required for certification and/or licensure.
BCLS training and current certification required from: American Heart Association or American Red Cross.
ACLS current certification where required.
Experience: Minimum of two years’ experience as an APP in a physician practice, ambulatory environment or Hospital unit preferred. Oncology/Hematology highly preferred.